Warning:

WARNING: If taken in large doses, nightshade can be deadly.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Am I unAmerican?

Recently, I read a book that I had been told repeatedly for years was an amazing book.  Seriously, everyone that I came in contact with that had read it sang its praises.  This book:  Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire

I borrowed the first four or five books of the series from my BFF, absolutely sure that I was going to enjoy it enough to read the entire series.  I got home, finished the quick fluff book that I also borrowed from her (Sh*t My Dad Says.  It's cute.  I recommend it) and then eagerly dived into Interview with a Vampire

It bored me to tears.

Holy Crap!  What's wrong with me??  I am undoubtedly the odd man out.  Did I just build it up too much in my head that it could never live up to my expectations?  Did the combination of Brad Pitt, Antonio Banderas, Kirsten Dunst, and a pre-crazy Tom Cruise really overshadow the novel they were acting from? 

I can count the number of books that I've preferred the movie adaptation to the actual book itself on one hand.  Generally, I am able to compartmentalize and like both the book and the movie.  But I still almost always like the books best.  But Interview with a Vampire has definitely added itself to the "I prefer the movie" list.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I loathed these books.  But I liked the movies pretty well.


And really, Armand was the only tolerable character in this story.  Lestat was dreadful, Louis was obnoxiously whiny, and Claudia was exactly as you would expect an eternally five year old girl to be like.  But I liked Armand. 

So.  I don't know what's wrong with me.  But either way, I am extremely disappointed.  I was really looking forward to enjoying this series.  Instead, I've moved on to Lyon by Elizabeth Amber, which I stole from my mother's bookcase. 

Momma....I'm shocked.  And impressed.  And my husband thanks you.

No comments:

Post a Comment