Warning:

WARNING: If taken in large doses, nightshade can be deadly.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Big Road Trip: Day Six

I'm a country girl at heart.  I love nature.  The quiet, the animals (except snakes...them bastards should all die), trees, water, the ability to walk around buck ass nekkid in my yard if I so choose.  I would never willing choose to live in a city.  That being said, if I was ever to HAVE to live in a city, San Francisco would be it.  

I spent two weeks there when I was seventeen at a medical forum for high school students who had aspirations of becoming doctors.  Even though I had decided against becoming a doctor before my time in San Francisco, it was probably one of the best experiences I've had.  And besides all the life lessons it taught me about doing things on my own and experiencing new things...I fell in love with that city. 

So, of course, when we leave Vegas, San Francisco will be our next stop!



(I wanted to trek through Yosemite National Park, but I don't think we're going to have enough time to do that.  Maybe next time.)

While we're there, we're gonna go see the Golden Gate Bridge.


I'm going to be honest here and say for the record....the Golden Gate Bridge is not that impressive.  It's a bridge.  Across a beautiful bay, I'll grant you.  But there's a ton of bridges across this bay.  The only thing it has going for it that the other bridges don't is the historical and engineering significance.  But it's one of those things that you just can't go to San Francisco without experiencing.  I'm pretty sure it's an obscure law somewhere:  If you go to San Francisco, you must take at least one picture of the Golden Gate Bridge. 

So we'll go, take a goofy picture in front of it.  And then move on....to Pier 39!! 





Pier 39 is a total tourist trap...but it's still awesome.  And in one of those little restaurants on the ground level, they make The Best Clam Chowder EVER....and it comes in a sourdough bread bowl....and it is the embodiment of a perfect fall evening on the coast.  (Yes, I realize that it will be summer when we go....but I'm going to be pretending that it's fall while I'm eating.  Mmkay?Krystle is allergic to shell fish.....which makes her eating The Best Clam Chowder Ever problematic.....but I'm hoping we can plan ahead with some allergy meds, otherwise she might miss out.  And that would just be fucking tragic.  

Another awesome thing about Pier 39....sea lions.  Tons and tons of sea lions.  

That's a lot of fucking sea lions people. 

They're cute.  And there's hundreds of them.  And it's amazing to watch their transformation from awkward slow lugs on the piers to the swift and graceful creatures they are in the water.  They're like two different animals.  

After our tourist-y time in San Francisco, I'm really really hoping that we can go down to the UC-Berkeley part of town.  That's where I thoroughly explored when I was staying there.  And I would love to go back through there.  I ate the best pizza of my life down there.  And there were so many awesome little stores there that I would love to go through again.  

There was a street artist that hung out right outside this gate when I was there.  He was amazing.  It was great to just stand there and watch him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment